John Schnieders, chief chemist with Water Systems Engineering in Ottawa, Kansas, will be receiving NGWA's top honour - the Ross L. Oliver Award for outstanding contributions to the groundwater industry.
Nominator John Jansen stated: "John [Schnieders] has worked with groundwater professionals in all industry segments to solve problems. He understands the various challenges those working in the industry face because he listens, he establishes rapport, he communicates the scientific principles in terms of practical application.
"His contribution is perhaps also unique as he has succeeded in bringing the technical advances in polymer chemistry and microbiology together into a practical set of concepts and procedures that are well received and accepted by contractors, scientists, and engineers. This has been possible because of his keen and curious intellect, and his kind and gracious nature."
In addition to his receiving the Ross L. Oliver Award this year, Schnieders is being recognised with a Life Member Award.
The other NGWA 2017 award recipients are:
- Eileen Poeter, professor emeritus, Colorado School of Mines and consultant with Poeter Engineering, Golden, Colorado - M. King Hubbert Award for major science contributions to the knowledge of groundwater and Life Member Award — in addition, Poeter is also being honoured with an NGWA Fellow Designation;
- Richard Thron, president, Mantyla Well Drilling, Lakeland, Minnesota - Robert Storm Intersectional Cooperation Award;
- Thomas M. Christy, PE, vice president, Geoprobe Systems, Salina, Kansas - Technology Award;
- Daniel T. Meyer, Garden Grove, California, and James Paulhus, Cranston, Rhode Island - Life Member Awards;
- Bernt Lorentz, CEO, Lorentz, Slaton, Texas - Equipment Design Award;
- Alan Eades, Eades Drilling & Pump Service, Hobbs, New Mexico - Standard Bearer Award;
- CDM Smith - South Miami Heights Water Treatment Plant Injection Well System and Upper Floridan Aquifer Test Production Well Program - Groundwater Supply Project Award;
- Nebraska Department of Health - Nebraska Grout Study/Nebraska Annular Space Study - Groundwater Protection Project Award;
- Hendrik Haitjema, president, Haitjema Consulting and retired professor, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, and Franklin W. Schwartz, professor and Ohio Eminent Scholar, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio - Keith E. Anderson Award for outstanding contributions to NGWA's Scientists and Engineers Section;
- The late Suthan S. Suthersan, Arcadis, Newtown, Pennsylvania - John Hem Award presented by the NGWA Scientists and Engineers Section for a significant, recent (within the past five years) scientific or engineering contribution to the understanding of groundwater;
- Moyland ‘Mo' Rainey, vice president, Simmons Mfg, McDonough, Georgia - Manufacturers Section Special Recognition Award; and
- Steven Chisholm, president, CMC Supply, Roanoke, Virginia - Supplier of the Year Award.